It is a human right that all Alabamians have a clean and safe environment. We are mindful that for that to exist, we ALL must do our part. The AEC attempts to give voice to citizens & groups interested in protecting our rights. We will focus our efforts toward sustainable living by reducing our impact on global warming; striving for better air quality; and expanding our work in recycling.
AEC originally served as an initiator and clearing-house for environmental issues in the state and will continue to participate in a now larger environmental movement. We are proud of the role we have had in shaping the movement in the past and are excited about continued participation in the future.
It is the mission of the AEC to protect Alabama's environment through advocacy, education, & preservation. The AEC is a solution-oriented organization that encourages industries, communities, and individuals to engage in responsible sustainable production and consumption. The AEC seeks to initiate action, promote leadership, and provide powerful grassroots support.
Our programmatic and organizational strategic goals are focused around decreasing our impact on climate change, working toward better air quality, and strengthening recycling through our Birmingham Recycling Center as well as statewide recycling initiatives. These three main focus areas will essentially guide our work toward our vision and carry out our mission.
Work to improve public policy addressing decreased climate change
Increase awareness of Carbon Footprint
- Reduced auto dependence and increase mass-transit options
- Partner with presenters to do Climate Project presentations and promote AEC membership
- Work to improve policy related to industry, communities, and individuals
- Work at reducing the number of Ozone days and Air Quality alerts state-wide and publicize daily air quality issues on our website and other media
- Partner with other organizations to address air quality in Transportation issues
- Advocate for decreased toxic industrial pollution
- Identify top air polluters in Alabama (which are also some of the worst in the world.)
- Strengthen Recycling Center Operations:
Recycling around the state:
- Update information on recycling opportunities around the state
- Create a template for starting municipal recycling
- Start creating a grassroots movement toward increased recycling
- Increase curbside recycling usage where available
- ADEM reform compliance to meet standards for solid waste
- Work with ALDOT to recognize glass as a potential aggregate
- Encourage office-paper recycling
- Identify markets and enable/encourage glass recycling
- Create a template for event recycling