We are a statewide, non-profit leader engaging citizens toward sustainable living and stewardship of the environment. Our mission is to organize and empower Alabamians to preserve the environment in a manner that is mindful of current and future generations.
From the low and gentle mountains of the north to the pure white sands of the coast, we breathe Alabama's air, drink Alabama's water and depend on Alabama's land. We recognize the positive link between a strong economy, a clean environment and a healthy, proactive citizenry. By working for a healthy environment with an emphasis on clean air, efficient and renewable energy, and improved waste reduction practices, we provide a voice for Alabama now and for the future.
- Educate and advocate for environmentally sustainable policies and practices.
- Be an effective and respected environmental voice for our stakeholders and others.
- Maintain a fiscally responsible and stable organization with an engaged Board of Directors, adequate staffing, and an active volunteer and membership base.
- Be market-leaders in recycling resources and education; operate a best-practice drop-off model
- Find ways to make the Downtown Recycling Center self-sustaining. Replicate at other location(s)
- Set-up and operate a restaurant/bar glass-recycling program
- Create education campaign to improve existing and implement additional curbside recycling pickup
- Educate citizens, corporations, and communities about how to live more sustainably.
- Create and implement a work-plan tracking system for involving staff and maintaining focus on the short- and long-term objectives
- Celebrate the history and success of the organization
- Leverage our effectiveness by developing partnerships and collaborating with like-minded organizations
- Work to improve local and state legislative/regulatory environmental policies
- Implement a marketing campaign to increase awareness and grow our state-wide presence
- grow membership
- secure additional revenue through additional gifts and new programs
- Form chapters/clubs/satellite groups to further carry out our mission and goals
- Become the best source and “go to” in AL for sustainable living and environmental stewardship
- Develop education campaigns to carry out our mission and goals
- Use appropriate advocacy to support our environmental sustainability policies.
- Work toward a visible, measurable increase in statewide recycling
Long-term Strategic Vision in Three Program Areas
Improved Waste Reduction
Alabamians have meaningful opportunities to lessen their impact on the waste stream and energy consumption through reducing, reusing and recycling. Alabama has an infrastructure built around waste reduction and industries that process materials locally providing employment opportunities and a healthy economy. Industries in Alabama are motivated to be good neighbors using innovative methods to transform waste products into valuable resources to be used in the industrial processes.
Alabama has waste reduction practices that provide opportunities and incentives for reducing, reusing and recycling its waste products.
► Educate citizens about existing and growing opportunities to lessen their impact on the waste stream.
► Work with leaders statewide toward creating policies that require citizens, businesses and industries to implement solution oriented practices to reduce waste.
► Support the growth of sustainable industries that process recyclable materials transforming waste products into reusable resources becoming economic drivers for local and state economies.
Efficient, Renewable Energy
Alabamians are aware and informed of the critical impacts of global warming and are engaged in lessening pollution that causes climate change. Alabamians work proactively toward minimizing our eco-footprint which will lead to decreased affects on the biodiversity that is our unique natural heritage. We recognize a change in perception about climate impacts among Alabama's citizenry and see movement toward more sustainable, clean energy production.
Alabama will have a more diversified energy portfolio with reliance on clean renewable energy and efficiency and conservation, resulting in lessened effects of current and future climate change and the serious worldwide impacts.
► Highlight the impacts of global warming and advocate individuals, businesses, state and local governments to reduce their carbon footprint.
► Build a politically influential groundswell of support for policies that reduce global warming pollution and encourage more sustainable energy use.
► Advance climate-friendly transportation, development, and land use issues that grow our economy.
Clean Air as a Birthright
Alabama's children will live and play in a toxic free environment. Businesses and governments will reduce the use and prevent the release of air pollutants that are harmful to human health. Parents and caregivers will not be forced to stay indoors on bad air days or to take their at-risk family members to the hospital as a result of air pollution. We see declines in asthma, learning disabilities, cancer and other health problems triggered by pollution, especially among children.
Alabama will have air that is free of toxics to human and ecological health as well as decreased industrial pollutants resulting in clean air to pass down to future generations.
► Educate citizens about the health impacts of breathing pollution and empower everyone to act on behalf of their inherent right to clean air.
► Initiate rulemaking at the state level that will provide guidelines to protect human health from dangerous impacts of air pollution.
► Promote business and industry participation in programs to improve air quality. Demonstrate the correlation between clean air and a thriving economy.