Recycling paper has never been easier. We no longer have to separate office paper from newspaper or junk mail and ALL non-food paper products can now go into one bin. With paper products making up 41% of the municipal solid waste stream, it's great to know that the recycling process has been simplified.
The Alabama Environmental Council (AEC) hopes to make recycling paper in your business more convenient by providing a pick-up service in the Birmingham area. We recognize that many businesses would like to recycle their paper, but simply do not have the staff and resources to haul the paper to a recycling facility. To make the program easy for participants, we can pick up your paper on an as-needed basis or on a scheduled route.
Because every business is different, we can customize a low, fee-based, recycling program that best fits your needs. If you're a non-profit, be sure to ask about our special non-profit rates.
Businesses who choose to participate will receive the following benefits:
- A potential decrease in your waste hauling fees and conservation of landfill space.
- Advertising tools including window decals to promote your participation in the program and demonstrate your commitment to environmental protection.
- Listing on RecycleAL.com as a participating partner.
- Help move Alabama closer to achieving our statewide recycling goals.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What paper products can I recycle?
- Basically, if it tears and hasn't touched food, you can recycle it. This includes office paper, newspaper, paperboard, books, magazines, shredded paper in a sealed bag, brochures, envelopes, construction paper, catalogs, paper towel and tissue rolls, cardboard, and more.
What paper products cannot be recycled?
- Paper that is soiled or has touched food, juice boxes, milk cartons, foam board, and 3-ring binders cannot be recycled in this program.
What about envelope windows, paper clips, staples, and spiral binding?
- There is not need to separate these items. All of these items will be removed through the recycling process.
Does this service offer document destruction?
- No, this program is intended for non-confidential paper recycling. However, if you shred it, then we can recycle it.
How big of a geographic area does AEC offer this program?
- At this time, this program is offered for businesses in the Birmingham area. We bring all materials to our Downtown Recycling Center, so currently we serve about a 10 mile radius of downtown.
Did you know?
More than 40% of the 180 million tons of trash Americans dump annually is paper. The single largest component in landfills is high-grade printing, copying, and writing paper.
Americans throw away enough office and writing paper each year to build a 12 foot wall stretching from New York to Los Angeles.
Every day American Businesses use enough paper to circle the Earth 20 times.
A paper mill uses 40% less energy to make paper from recycled paper than it does to make paper from virgin trees. Therefore, recycling 1 ton of newsprint saves about 4,000 KWh of Electricity – enough energy to heat and air condition the average North American home for about six months.