Alan is an Alabama native whose history with the AEC goes back to his undergraduate days as a student of AEC’s Dr. Ed Passerini at the University of Alabama. While working on his B.S. in Environmental Studies and Bioethics, Alan spent much of his time advocating sustainability by helping organize direct action campaigns for campus recycling, bicycle lanes, and stopping the sale of old growth lumber. Upon graduating, Alan taught environmental education at McDowell Environmental Center before moving to Boulder, CO to obtain an M.A. in Environmental Leadership at Naropa University.
Now, after serving as both the Volunteer Manager and Environmental Education Manager at the McWane Science Center, Alan is excited to bring his experience and passion back to the Alabama Environmental Council as the Recycling Director. Having observed both the road blocks and progress of recycling in Alabama, Alan is working to move recycling forward and position Alabama as a leader in sustainable waste management. He leads our recycling and waste reduction initiatives, as well as other sustainability programs of the AEC.
Alan is an active proponent of environmental advocacy and sustainability in central Alabama by serving as:
- Board Member of the Alabama Recycling Coalition
- Board Member of the Keep Birmingham Beautiful Commission
- Environmental Quality Committee Member of the Jefferson County Department of Health's Health Action Partnership
- Energy Efficiency Working Group Committee Member of the Collaborative Environmental Initiative of Alabama
- Past Sustainability Co-Chair of Catalyst for Birmingham
- Past Board Member of the Green Resource Center for Alabama
- Member for
- 6 years 5 weeks